Thursday, August 4, 2011

It all makes sense

It all makes perfect sense now. After spending two weeks with my in laws, certain things about my husband are much clearer now. Why he says and does certain things and why he is the way he is.

Example 1 – While walking in Rome…

In Laws: “Do you think we should take this street to the Pantheon or go down one more?”
Me: “It’s this street I’m sure.”
In Laws: “No. No. We go down one more.”

A few minutes later…

Me: “That’s the back of the Pantheon. We are close!”
In Laws: “no.”

After we walk around the front…

In Laws: “That was the back of the Pantheon!”
Me: “I’m about to beat you both with this map.”


Why ask a question if you will not listen to the answer! Hubs does that all the time and it drives me nuts! We all have little things we do and say that we are not so proud of. I know they were ready to sacrifice me to the lions at some point in Rome, but everyone has their own quirks.

And we pass them on to our children.

My son feels he is all knowing. I have a very clear knowledge of why he feels that way. When I was little I had Weeble Wobble toys. I had the whole stinkin’ family of Webble Wobbles. One year I even got the Weeble Wobble Camper for Christmas! I snuck them into church, rode them around in the grocery cart, and played with them nonstop. What bothered me was the commercial claiming they would never fall down. I called BULLSHIT on that one and proceeded to put my Webble Wobble family through the ringer. I subjected them to a series of tests and experiments which no plastic toys should have to endure. They were lined up on the patio and sprayed with the water hose. Even though I knocked them down over and over again, they still managed to spring back up. The final test was when I secured the family down to the carpet in my room with duct tape. I made myself a little chart and checked off the box everytime I made an observation. I would check to see how long they had been taped down, go jack around outside, and then see if they were still on their backs. When I finally removed the tape, they slowly but surely teetered back to an upright position. I was wrong. I was pissed. I was five years old.

My youngest daughter is extremely shy around people she does not know. She refuses to speak when strangers in public places even though the strangers are my friends. Even at school she barely spoke in the beginning. My close friends tell me my first impression sucks. I’m too quiet and it comes off bitchy.

One morning back in 1979 after the school bus left our house my mother looked at me and asked, “What are you still doing here?” Signing me up for kindergarten was on her to do list, but with 4 kids from college age down all the way to me it got pushed to the back burner. I do not think it was any coincidence my kindergarten was 0.5 miles from our house. I think it was the first one she came to and immediately enrolled my in the program at the Church of God. For the first two weeks I didn’t speak a word. I remember hearing the teachers whisper about me. They were wondering if I had a problem. Finally one day we all had our little books in front of us and the teacher asked if anyone could read the first word. I raised my hand and proceeded to read the entire book out loud to the class. That was the end of the teacher to teacher whispers.

My sweet little shy angel of a last child experienced carpool for the first time two years ago. I knew she was in good hands and all the other neighborhood kids were great. She did not agree. One of them evidently gave her a little lip and she threw her shoe at them across the Expedition.

Summerpurse Junior. I am so proud.

thank you for reading my posts, and I hope you feel a little better about yourself

No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter --> Site Meter